Congratulations on your marriage! Now what?
First we must establish the marital relationship through documentation:
- Marriage certificate
- Proof of spouse’s US citizenship or law permanent residence (green card)
- If either spouse had previous marriages, proof that prior marriages were legally terminated
- Passport-style photographs of both spouses
Next we must prove that you have a bona fide marriage (for example):
- Documentation showing joint ownership of property
- Lease showing you both reside at the same address
- Documentation showing you have combined your financial resources
- Birth certificates of children born to you and your spouse together
- Affidavits for third parties with personal knowledge of your marriage; or
- Any other relevant documentation to establish there is an ongoing marital union
If your spouse is in the United States he/she can also apply for a green card and work authorization at the same time. Here is some of the documentation that will be needed:
- I-94 Arrival-Departure Record (if applicable)
- Passport-style photographs
- Birth certificate (translated if not in English)
- Certified police and court records (if applicable)
Additionally, if your spouse entered without documentation he/she will need a waiver for the illegal entry. Please talk to the attorney for more information on this process.
Please note: This is general information. You should consult with the attorney to discuss your individual case.